When you think about success, are you focused on what you can do to be successful? Have you ever considered that your personality could sabotage your success?
If you’ve been doing all the right things out there in the world and you are not producing the results you want, maybe there is something missing in your approach.
Your personality plays a more important role in your success than you think. Your personality defines how you relate to the world and to other people.
Read on to find out how your true personality can help you create the success you want.
What is personality?
There are a lot of definitions of personality. I am going to share a definition of emotional personality. Your personality is made up of emotions and beliefs from your past. These come together to create the mask you wear in society.
You can discover your mask personality by exploring emotional themes in your life. Do you worry you will be abandoned? Do you need everyone to like you? Are you hyper alert, always looking for something wrong?
Your emotional theme can be summarized by a short question or phrase. This question or phrase is always running in the background of your mind. It filters and colors all your thoughts and behaviors.
Here are a few examples:
- Do you like me?
- Everything is going to be okay.
- Am I being valued?
- I am never satisfied.
- Do you respect me?
- There are many more…
How does your personality affect your life?
According to Joe Dispenza who wrote Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself (2012), “you are who you are because of what you believe about yourself.”
Let’s look at some signs your mask personality is affecting your success:
- You are hyper alert to any comments about your value. You get angry over any perceived slights.
- You go out of your way to get people to like you. People can “buy” your attention and impact your decisions if they like you.
- If you feel disrespected, you become enraged and say things you later regret.
- You never feel good enough so you are always settling for less than you deserve. You are probably underpaid.
- You never feel satisfied. You over spend trying to fill a need to be fulfilled. You are probably in debt.
- You stay in bad relationships or bad jobs because you don’t believe you deserve better.
How is your mask personality affecting your life?
This mask personality is not you!
You were not born with a mask personality. Most of us acquire our personality around age four. It is based on a four year old’s understanding of the world. Think about it. Your four-year-old self is still running the show.
Before you get too discouraged, there is good news. You can reclaim your true personality. This will change everything.
According to Joe Dispenza, “how you are as a personality is how you are in your personal reality.” He goes on to say “your personal reality is made up of how you think, feel, and act” and “your new personality should produce a new reality.”
If you want a quick way to improve every area of your life, release your mask personality and reclaim your true personality.
Are you ready to get started?
Here are a few of my past posts on personality:
- Personality: What Is It?
- Personality: How Do You Discover Your Personality?
- Personality: Discovering Your True Personality
Checkout my workbook, Reclaim Your True Personality, Workbook 2.
You can finally become the person you were meant to be.
Let me know what you are thinking. Leave me a comment below.
(Image: Marketing Edinburgh @ Flickr)